I consider myself a fairly friendly and sometimes fun person to socialize with online. People tell me I am anyway. I do realize that I have my days of assholery. Sometimes these days last weeks even. I’ve realized as a result of a certain text message I sent to the radio station that was read on air, that in real life I am just as big an ass as I am online. Do I take things too far? Well yeah. How many mature 38 year old women do you know that don’t?
When I figured out that the Ken Barlow, local KSTP weatherman blocked me on Twitter, I began to consider whether I needed to work on my communication skills. I am not sure why he blocked me—I swear I have no idea. But here are 5 reasons, he might have.
1. Offensive Tweet – All jokes aside, the last tweet I remember sending to Ken Barlow was something like “I don’t understand what you just tweeted. All I want to know is if it’s going to be nice this wkend. Yes/no circle one.” And I remember him following me shortly afterwards. This is how I figured out he blocked me, because today I went to make sure I was following him and BAM I get the “you cant follow this person because he blocked yo ass” message. After I regained my composure from falling on the ground and laughing hysterically, I really became concerned and curious about what the hell happened. Then, I BLOCKED HIM BACK with a tweet that said something like “take that weatherman”. I know. Probably made it worse.
2. Drunk Tweeting - While I was tweeting this, a friend @thisdaddys_blog from This Daddy’s Blog, tweeted that I should tell Ken Barlow to “go suck on a nimbus cloud” which totally made me laugh harder until I began to wonder if I had actually told him that. I tweet inappropriate stuff so often on Twitter, it’s possible that I told Ken Barlow to suck on a nimbus cloud or to eat a sleet sandwich and have no recollection of it. Sybil, you know? If this is the reason, I doubt that it’s fair to hold it against me – mental health and forgetfulness, and stuff, you know. Tourettes maybe. Okay, that’s insulting people that really have Tourettes. Fuck, sorry. Dammit.
3. Brick Tamland Killed Someone With a Trident - The only weather guy that matters is Brick Tamland and at the time of this writing, I’m trying to offset the fact that Barlow blocked me by forcing a presumably fake @bricktamland3 account to follow me. There is no other way for there to be balance in my universe. Brick Tamland killed a guy with a trident, you know. Is it possible that Ken Barlow blocked me because he knows Brick Tamland is really the only weatherman on earth that kicks ass? Yes, I believe it’s very possible. Did I say trident already? 1
4. Following Too Many Weatherpeople. I don’t know, is there some kind of rule on Twitter that you can only get your weather from one weather person? If that’s the case, I have totally screwed up my relationships with all of the weather guys in Minnesota. I am following ALL of them- not because I have a meteorologist fetish but because Minnesota has awesome weather guys and weather girls.
Mike Augustyniak @MorningWXguy
Paul Douglas @pdouglasweather
Randy Hill @chasetheplains
Sven Sundgaard @svensundgaard
Chris Shaffer @WCCOShaffer
Dave Dahl @Dave_Dahl
Patrick Hammer @PatHammer
There are way too many to list them all. If I’m missing someone you think I should be following let me know.
5. It was an accident. You know what? Maybe he accidentally pressed the block button but he really meant to tweet me a “you’re awesome” tweet or a reply to the question I asked regarding this weekend’s weather. Or maybe he was actually trying to figure out how to circle yes or no on the tweet and doesn’t even know he blocked me. If that’s the case then disregard this whole blog post, except the part about the awesome meteorologists in Minnesota. And also the part about Brick Tamland. I meant all of that.
In trying to console me, my friend Cari @bubblegumonmyshoe found a Ken Barlow =Pimp @suckmyclock_ Twitter account I could follow instead that probably won’t block me. I mean seriously, he isn’t going to block anyone. I don’t want to do that though because I bet he doesn’t know shit about the weather.
Why do you think Ken Barlow, Minnesota Meteorologist blocked me?
UPDATE 5/14/2012: Ken Barlow tweeted today that he was sorry and the station or “someone else” blocked me. I told him that next time we should consider counseling first and if it rains I get to blame him. So I think we made up. Or he’s more afraid of me now than he was before. Additionally, it was disclosed on Twitter via @bubblegumcari and @moonandstaci that Ken Barlow is French Indian, and that is why he looks like he’s superty duperty tanned.
Also, @etelligence of Social Media Sun can fill in as weatherman at any given moment.
- Brick Tamland is following me. Life is good. ↩
All over your inbox
- Cari Wegner on Why Friends With Benefits Is Bullshit
- Hugh Liddle on Why Friends With Benefits Is Bullshit
- Christina Majaski on Stupid List Friday: 5 Types of Old People You Can Probably Punch
- Gofuckyourselfoldwoman on Stupid List Friday: 5 Types of Old People You Can Probably Punch
- damnstraightchristina on Stupid List Friday: 5 Types of Old People You Can Probably Punch